The “ASEAN Data Science Explorers” (“Contest”) organised by the ASEAN Foundation (“Organiser”) and SAP Asia Pte Ltd (“Co-organiser”) is held for TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY EIGHT (258) days commencing from 03 February 2020 00:01 am SGT and ends 23:59 SGT on 17 October 2020 [(“Contest Period”]).
The Contest is open to individuals (“Participants”) who:
- are nationals of ASEAN member countries (includes Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam) only. Permanent residents of the ASEAN countries are not allowed to join;
- are full-time tertiary students currently pursuing their Diploma/Undergraduate studies in one of the tertiary institutions in Southeast Asia (includes Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam) only;
- are above the age of 16 at the start of the Contest Period. Parental consent is required for participants under the age of 18 (click here to download consent form);
- were not Top 3 finalists from National Finals in preceding years;
- did not represent their country at the Regional Finals in preceding years;
- have agreed and will adhere to the Terms and Conditions herein. By entering the competition, Participants confirm that they will be available to travel for regional competition that is taking place in October 2020 in Viet Nam.
Each Participant shall make full and honest disclosure of particulars as requested in the Contest. Any misrepresentation of any facts or particulars may result in disqualification, forfeiture or withdrawal of any prize won at the Organiser and Co-organiser's sole discretion.
- There is no limit to the number of participating teams from each tertiary institution
- Each team will consist of 2 members from the same institution or two different institutions
- All Participants must hold a valid passport in the event that they are chosen to travel down to Viet Nam for the Regional Final.
- Each team consisting of two team members with different nationalities is required to declare which ASEAN country (one of these nationalities belongs to) they will represent during registering at the National Finals and Regional Finals when they are shortlisted. However, the two team members are advised to have the same nationality they will represent in the National Finals and Regional Final
- Two team members must be present in-country at the point of the National Finals and Regional Final. However, they do not need to be resident in ASEAN at the point of registration
- Virtual National Finals will be conducted on a case-by-case basis
- Each team may submit a maximum of one (1) entry only. This entry will be used to judge for qualifying rounds to finals. Re-submission is allowed before the submission period ends.
- The entry must be built by using SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC) exclusively
- Each team must adhere to the submission guidelines stated
- Teams may use given data or data from other reliable sources (publicly accessible or via special permissions from the owner of the dataset) but they must be clearly acknowledged in the submission form. Teams must provide complete link for their data in the reference list.
- All submissions must be in English
- All submitted material must be original and created by team members. Any previously published content used must be properly attributed to the original author
- To participate in this Contest, students must first register their team on the competition webpage: www.aseandse.org
- After students successfully registered to the Contest and received access to the SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC), they can start working on their storyboards, which they will submit later during submission period
- A panel of judges selected by the Organiser and Co-Organiser in its sole discretion will review all eligible entries submitted during the Contest period. Ten (10) teams from each country will be selected to attend the national competition
- The winning team from each country will be given an all-expenses paid trip, including DSA (Daily Subsistence Allowance), shared accommodation, flight ticket, and transportation allowance as per ASEAN Foundation’s travel policy for team members to attend the regional competition
- Judges’ decision will be final
- By submitting an entry, each team member agrees to be bound by all of the Terms and Conditions set forth herein. ASEAN Foundation and/or SAP may discontinue or terminate the Contest at any time at its sole discretion
Prizes and Acknowledgement:
- The top THREE winning teams in each country will stand to win cash prizes of a pre-determined amount and trophies. The top team from each country will also win an all-expenses paid trip to Viet Nam for two team members and their mentor/supervisor, including DSA (Daily Subsistence Allowance), shared accommodation, flight ticket, and transportation allowance as per ASEAN Foundation’s travel policy. The Organiser will follow-up with each winning team after the national competition for submission of travelling team members’ details. If a winner does not respond and comply with the Organiser’s instructions to claim the prize within seven (7) days, he/she is taken to have rejected the prize and unconditionally and irrevocably waives all rights in relation to the prize. The Organiser and Co-Organiser reserve their rights to deal with all unclaimed prizes in any manner they deem fit and may forfeit the Prize without notification to any party. The Organiser and Co-Organiser are not obliged to draw another winner.
- The Organiser and Co-organiser are not responsible for any delayed, lost, wrong, or unrecognisable answer, entry or submission due to technical disruption or error, network congestions or for any other reason. In the event of a dispute over any answer, entry or submission, the Organiser and Co-Organiser's decision shall be final. The Prize is non-exchangeable, non-refundable, non-transferable and not exchangeable for cash or cash equivalent or any other benefits in kind.
- Winners must be available to travel on the dates specified by Organiser and Co-Organiser. All travel arrangements will be handled by Organiser and Co-Organiser. Specific airports, air carrier(s), accommodation providers and other trip specifics are at the sole discretion of Organiser and Co-Organiser. All travel is subject to availability. Blackout dates and other restrictions may apply. Travel must originate and end at the same major gateway airport. Travel must originate from the ASEAN country which Participants represent for the finals. It is the winner’s sole responsibility to provide valid travel documents and passports, valid photo IDs, as required by travel authorities at time of travel; and to obtain and maintain all insurance (including health, liability and any other insurance). No changes will be made to travel details once any element(s) of the travel arrangements have been booked. Prize conditions may be added or modified by Organiser and Co-Organiser. Organiser and Co-Organiser are not responsible for any changes of any element of prize trip including but not limited to any expenses incurred as a consequence of missed flights, flight charges, cancellation, or delays. Organiser and Co-Organiser will not replace any lost or stolen tickets, travel vouchers, or certificates. Any unclaimed and/or unused element of a prize will remain the property of Organiser and Co-Organiser.
- The Organiser and Co-Organiser reserve the right to terminate the Contest or to modify the Contest rules and Terms within the Contest Period by amending the Terms and Conditions at its sole and absolute discretion. Any such modifications shall be notified via the Contest website or communicated directly with participants, and such modifications shall be immediately effective and apply to all entries, including entries that have been submitted to the Organiser and Co-Organiser.
Release and Indemnification:
- To the maximum extent permitted by law, Participants and winners agree to release, indemnify, defend and hold harmless (“release”) Organiser & Co-Organiser and their parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and divisions, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents (“Released Parties”) from and against any and all threatened or actual actions, liabilities, claims, demands, losses, settlements, fines, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorney fees) whether or not litigation is commenced (“dispute”) arising at any time from participation in the Contest, the submissions (in whole or in part), any Contest and/or prize-related activity or inability to participate in or parts thereof, the delivery, acceptance, use, mis-use of a prize or any failure with respect thereto, personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light (whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory, any act, default, omission, non-compliance, and/or a violation or breach of any agreement, representation, warranty or covenant made herein, or any other agreements by/with Participant, Organiser, Co-Organiser and/or any other party or entity.
- Further, to the maximum extent permitted by law, and without limiting the foregoing, Participants and winners agree to release the Released Parties from and against any and all threatened or actual disputes arising at any time directly or indirectly from any dispute brought by any persons or entities arising from or related to an entry, participation and/or involvement in any other respect with the Contest, and/or the delivery, acceptance, use, mis-use of a prize or any failure with respect thereto. Participants and winners agree not to sue any Released Party or cause them to be sued regarding any matter released above; and further give permission not to disaffirm, limit, or rescind this release.
By participating in the Contest, the Participants agree to take part in any promotion or publicity exercise as may be conducted by the Organiser and Co-Organiser. The Participants hereby irrevocably and unconditionally grant the Organiser and Co-Organiser all consents and waivers necessary for the Organiser and Co-Organiser, its representatives and contractors to record and use the Participants' entry, names, images, video footage, likeness or particulars (as the case may be) including for Organisers and Co-Organiser's internal and external publicity purposes, without further compensation, for an unlimited period of time, except prohibited by law in any manner as SAP shall in its sole discretion deem fit.
Additional Entry Requirements - Please note the following:
- Any submissions containing inappropriate content, including but not limited to vulgarity, obscenity, lewd, pornographic or violent material, or materials which promote violence or which disparage Organiser and Co-Organiser or any other person or entity, or contain trademarked or copyrighted material will be disqualified at Organiser and Co-Organiser’s sole discretion.
- Use of any of the following elements, including without limitation: speech/voiceovers, music, lyrics, video, stills, visuals, or other materials that are not original, in the public domain, may result in disqualification, in Organiser and Co-Organiser’s sole discretion.
- Further, by entering this Contest, Participant hereby represent, warrant, and covenant (as applicable), and agree to produce written evidence of such if requested, that:
- The submissions, in whole and in part, do not violate or infringe upon any proprietary or intellectual property rights, including copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights, or any other rights whatsoever of any person and/or entity;
- The submissions, in whole and in part, are submitted to the Contest by or with the permission of all persons (living or deceased), venues and/or entities who worked on, were engaged to work on, or contributed in any respect to the entry or any part thereof, who are depicted (directly or indirectly) in the entry by name, likeness, voice, image or any other information or indicia of persona, or who otherwise have any right, title and interest in and to the entry or any part thereof (including but not limited to rights arising from a work for hire relationship), and all such persons, venues, and/or entities have provided their written consent to submission for purposes of the Contest and its use pursuant to the terms and conditions sets out herein;
- Participant has all other rights, licenses, permissions and consents necessary to submit the entry and to grant all of the rights granted to the Organiser and Co-Organiser pursuant to these terms and conditions and the exercise thereof by the Organiser and Co-Organiser and/or the use by them of the rights granted by Participant, in whole or in part, does not and will not give rise to any alleged or actual claims, disputes, actions or liabilities, including but not limited to those for disputes or payment of any kind, including without limitation royalties, residuals, attribution, credit, dues, consultation or any other fees, costs, or expenses;
- The submissions in whole or in part contain no malware, including viruses, trojans, worms, spyware or any other harmful software, code or other devices; and
- The submissions in whole or in part contain no pornographic, sexually explicit (including nudity), defamatory, offensive, violent, discriminatory, cruel, abusive, highly sensitive, or illegal content (including but not limited to gambling), and/or technology or other content that is prohibited from export), content of an obscene or menacing character, and does not otherwise offend against reasonable standards of taste and decency.
- By participating in the Contest, the Participant hereby affirms and declares that the Organiser and Co-Organiser may not be held responsible for any violation or infringement of the above stated warranties. The Participant irrevocably indemnifies the Organiser and Co-Organiser against any claims, losses, damages, expenses (including attorney’s fees), proceedings, suits or losses which may arise out of and/or in connection with the submission. In the event that the submission by the Participant wins the Contest, and is later on challenged on the ground of infringement or breach of any of the above said warranties, the Organiser and Co-Organiser shall have the right to enforce their legal rights against such Participant and will also have the right to disqualify him/her from participating in this Contest.
- The Organiser and Co-organiser reserve the right to cancel, terminate or suspend the Contest with or without any prior notice and reason. For the avoidance of doubt, cancellation, termination or suspension, the Organiser and Co-organiser shall not entitle the Participants to any claim or compensation against the Organiser for any and all losses or damages suffered or incurred as a direct or indirect result of the act of cancellation, termination or suspension.
- The Terms and Conditions herein set out shall prevail over any inconsistent terms, conditions, provisions or representations contained in any other promotional or advertising materials for the Contest.
- The Organiser and Co-Organiser’s decision in relation to every aspect of the Contest including but not limited to the Prize and the selection of winner shall be deemed final and conclusive under any circumstance. No further appeal, enquiry and/or correspondence will be entertained.
- SAP, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates and its vendors assume no responsibility or liability for damages, losses, or injury resulting from acceptance or use of a prize. SAP assumes no responsibility or liability for lost, incomplete, incorrect, or misdirected entries and dashboards. SAP is not responsible or liable for hardware, software, web site, Internet, or ISP malfunctions, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, inaccurate, incomplete, garbled or delayed electronic or other communications. SAP is not in any way liable for damage, loss or injury resulting from acceptance, shipping, handling, or use of any prize.
- Each participant assumes all liability for injuries caused or claimed to be caused by participation in this Contest or the use or misuse of any prize. Each participant acknowledges that SAP is not responsible or liable for any warranty, representation, or guarantee express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any prize, including but not limited to its quality, merchantability, mechanical condition or fitness for a particular purpose. By entering, participant releases and holds harmless SAP, its subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the Contest and the prizes.
- Taxes and/or any additional costs or fees incurred by the prize winner in regards to winning the prize or prize use are the sole responsibility of the prize winner. Incomplete or illegible entries will not be eligible for the prize. All entries, dashboards and all other material submitted by participants become the property of SAP and will not be returned. Use of a false email account will disqualify an entry. SAP, in its sole discretion, can disqualify any person who tampers with the entry process or the operation of the web site, or who otherwise violates these rules. SAP reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the Contest if it cannot be completed as planned due to computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, technical failures, or other conditions beyond SAP's control.
- Participants represent, warrant and agree that as a condition of in participating in Contest or submitting an Entry that:
All materials or information submitted as part of the entry (“Entry Materials”):
- Do not include the confidential information of any participant, participant’s employer or company, or any other party; and
- Are either owned by the members of the team, or are such that the applicable team has the right to use such Entry Materials for the full scope of activities contemplated hereunder; and
- Will not be treated as confidential by SAP and may be used by SAP in any manner including marketing, displaying them on various SAP web sites, or through other media, including but limited to SAP EcoHub, SAP Developer Network, and Business Process Expert Community; and
No team shall incorporate into any entry any subject matter known or suspected by such team:
- to be covered by any third party’s intellectual property right,
- that they do not have the right to freely license; or
- that is subject to any open source license obligation.
Participants hereby grant SAP a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free license, with the right to sublicense to SAP’s licensees and customers, to use, publish, and disclose the Entry Materials in any manner SAP chooses and to display, perform, copy, make, have made, use, sell, and otherwise dispose of SAP's and its sublicensees’ products or services embodying the Entry Materials in any manner and via any media SAP chooses, without reference to the source.
This Contest and the terms and conditions set herein, shall be governed by, subject and construed in accordance with the laws of Singapore, without regard to conflict of law rules. If any item or provision contained in these terms and conditions or any part thereof is declared or becomes unenforceable, invalid or illegal for any reason, all other terms and provisions of these terms and conditions shall remain in full force and effect as if these terms and conditions had been executed without the offending provision appearing therein.